Thursday, June 2, 2011

Regulation?

The constitution authorizes the government to "regulate interstate commerce." Well, what in the world does that mean?  The word "regulate" seems to come from the word regular.  So, to regulate something, I would define as making it regular, normal, unfettered, free to operate optimally.  But our bureaucrats and politicians heartily disagree.  They are in the game of protecting us from each other and ourselves.  Now, I agree that the government should step in if someone's individual inalienable rights are violated.  If I'm being mugged, I want the cops to help me.  If a terrorist is about to blow himself up near me or near anyone else, I want soldiers to shoot him.  But the government goes way beyond that.

Maybe this example will illustrate:
Let's say you go into McDonald's and order your meal deal.  Just as you're about to pay, some guy appears out of nowhere beside you at the counter and tells you you're paying too little or that you ordered something he doesn't approve of or he turns to the McDonald's guy and tells him he's charging too much and that he'll have to take less than you were willing to pay, etc.  Does that sound right to you?  Do you need that guy to intervene for you?  No?  Well, neither does anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment