Saturday, June 4, 2011

No Trespassing Against Private Property

The entire concept that is America is founded upon the idea of private property.  Yet we're riddled with laws, ordinances and restrictions when it comes to our private property.  Just look at all of the zoning laws, etc.

A couple of years ago, my father in law sold his father's land.  The city wanted to preserve open spaces in this rural area.  I can empathize with this sentiment.  But the city's feelings and mine have nothing to do with someone's private property.  Conditional to the city "allowing" the sale of the property, my father in law had to gift a portion of the land to the city and the buyer was restricted in subdividing it to large lots.  The city didn't want the lots to be too small.  All of this unnaturally lowered the value of the land.

Let me reiterate that I understand and share the desire for open spaces.  But regardless of how the rest of us may feel about it, the property belongs to the owner and its sale has nothing to do with us.  In fact, I'm free to purchase the property myself and do whatever I want with it, open spaces or otherwise.

If I don't like the particular shirt you're wearing today, can I walk up to you on the street and force you to change it?  Gee, your hair looks funny.  Let me drag you to the barber and fix it.  Hey, that guy you paid to do your lawn didn't do it my way; you have to fix that.  You can't sell your car until you paint it a color I like better than that ugly white.  We don't like you, so we took a vote and we're going to hang you.

The absurdity is easily illustrated in smaller things, but some line is crossed when it comes to land and suddenly we, who are the city, can trample someone's property rights.  And we actually feel good about ourselves.  After all , we're preserving open spaces.  Well, your hanging creates open space, too.  Everyone knows we're overpopulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment