Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Fallacy of "Fairness"

I remember being in church once and the guy at the pulpit said, "Life's not fair.  If it were, I'd have had to beat the girls off with a stick when I was in school."  I was about 10 years old but it stuck with me.  I can see the truth there.  However, it seems to clash with the idea that "all men are created equal."   Or does it?  The way I interpret that phrase in the Declaration of Independence is that each of us has an equally fair shot at heaven and happiness.  Again, it's all relative.

It's our childish notions of fairness that get us into trouble.  We seek to level the playing field.  One arena where we've yet to seek to equalize outcomes via a leveling of the playing field is the literal playing field.  I love football.  I've never played except with my friends for fun.  But what if, in the name of fairness, I were able to force the NFL to let me play and to level the playing field by bringing the rest of the players down to my level.  They would have to play with one leg and at least one arm tied behind heir backs to make it fair; in order for me to be able to compete with them.  Many of them would have to lose a lot of weight, etc. so I could play.  Sound good?  No?  You wouldn't pay to see that game?  No.  There wouldn't be an NFL.  I would've effectively ruined it.

We're not all the same.  We have different abilities.  I'm excellent at some things.  I suck at others.  You're the same way.  Some people are great at making money.  Many of us aren't.  That's how it is.  To deny it is to deny reality, to ignore the truth.  Think of your talents.  Should you be punished for being better at something than I am?

But, see, that's why people hate Capitalism.  Some people win more than others.  But it's the system in which we all win the maximum amount possible, as evidenced by our standard of living.  It doesn't/hasn't/won't help to try to cut the top people down to a "fair" level.  That just make losers of us all.  And if we continue to try to cut people down there won't be an America.  We will have effectively ruined it.  America is the goose that lays golden eggs.  The "rich" are major layers of golden eggs.  If we kill that goose, no more eggs.  Just a dead goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment